Sunday, May 16, 2010

First Weekly Reflection

The first week of my senior project was very successful. I basically learned what it was like to work in a development office for a week, whether I was doing busy work like laminating cards for senior dinner, or attending important meetings. For the most part I liked what I was doing, sometimes I would be doing the little things that aren’t exactly fun to do, but part of what needs to be done for things to keep flowing. A few of those activities were creating slide shows, cutting ribbons, counting and creating table cards for senior dinner, and figuring out transportation for the senior cruise. I was also involved with important things like marketing meetings and planned giving meetings, which is what I had as an idea of what I would be doing. Another thing I learned is that there needs to be a lot of money flow to make everything run smoothly, I learned that from the planned giving meeting. I really enjoyed listening and understanding how everything works and finding out that there is a lot of things that go into making a school run. For example, one of the meetings there was talk about the Proctor logo for about an hour, and there wasn’t even a decision made then. I would say that most things happened like I expected, I knew that I would probably have to do some “start-up” work meaning that I had to do the little things around the office. But I also knew that Chuck would do his best to keeping me involved with the important things as well. I have already benefited from the activities I did this week, because I have already learned how the business works at development and I now know that Proctor basically wouldn’t exist if it weren’t for the development office. This week was about learning what the development office does as a whole, and next week I am hoping to find out what each of the individuals’ role is for the office and what they contribute. I feel like I had a very successful week and I am excited to see what is to come of this upcoming week.

No comments:

Post a Comment